11/27/2007

Moments within the snow

White, pure, clean, soft, cold, damp, light, quiet. Snow fell today after nearly 2 months of virtually no precipitation. I was going to the grocery store when the rain started to take the form of ice crystals. By the time I came home, the crystals had become beautiful white flakes. Finally, it feels like winter.

I remember once being in the mountains when the snow started to fall. The silence was infinite and transcendent. I stopped my walk, closed my eyes, and just tried to listen to the sound of snow falling. It sounded like my breath: in and out, in and out, and my heart: berum-bump, berum-bump.
Sometimes you can hear the sound of the snowflake landing on a dead and decaying brown leaf just before the ice turns to water. The harder the snow falls, the louder the silence becomes, a soft pad forming protection around your senses.
Opening your eyes, you see nothing but white, pure white. The sky becomes the air in front of you and the breath from your mouth reveals the cold in the air. "Never forget the silence," the snow tells you, "be silent and quiet, listen to you heart beat and your breath breathe."

Moments within the snow return you to yourself and help you find your way home.


Angels fall like rain
And love - is all of heaven away
- The Ghost in you

No comments: