11/07/2007

My guy won, vouchers lost, and a new school district to be born

Yesterday was election day in our fair city. For me, a city resident, the mayoral race was big. Fortunately, my guy, Ralph Becker, won by a landslide. After 3 years of Rocky, I am ready for a change. I love what Rocky has done to make the city green and give it an environmental purpose, but his lack of "diplomatic" skills began to rub me raw. He doesn't work well with others (is that a good way to put it?). I think Ralph with his many years of planning experience as well as years in the state House will help things happen. He is looking to the future and has a blueprint for what the city can become. I like that.

Vouchers lost BIG time. Even I was surprise by how much. I think people here want the public school system to shape up and get the funding it needs. It is a huge wake up call for the legislature as they made it law last year without putting it to vote. After many complaints, the Governor decided that the people should decide, so he put it on the ballot. Vote we did! In the exact opposite of the elected leaders (the legislature). Hopefully the people see how out of touch these guys are when they go to the ballot box next year to reelect them.

The Jordan School district has been ousted, at least on the East side (east of the I-15). I am really surprised by this one. The east side-ers decided to break off from the Jordan school district and form their own. That means that the Jordan school district will be funded only by west side neighborhoods for west side schools. I am still unsure of what I think about this. My first thought is that this new district will be an elitist one because of the area that it will serve. I will have to see how this one will play out.

No comments: