8/21/2007

Jumping in and hoping for a good landing

I started my classes this week. Officially they haven't actually started classes at Utah State, but one of the benefits about distance ed is that professors upload coursework early, so starting early is an option (if not expected). I am already loving the Anatomy of Speech and Hearing reading. Who knew all the parts involved in just pronouncing a vowel? I am really eating it up. Distance education does require a bit of self discipline as there are no prescribed dates for lecture. Fortunately, I am the type of person that prefers to work at my own speed, get it done early, and give myself plenty of time to study for final exams.

In a lot of ways I feel like I am taking a step back in my career growth, but a step forward in satisfaction and happiness with my work. Occasionally, I beat myself up for not being 10 years younger or not figuring things out better ten years ago, but then I tell myself "I am where I am, and I can either spend my days beating myself up and going nowhere, or I can take the step towards the right direction." This usually takes care of the pity party. I do count myself lucky to have a husband that supports my dream and goals. It makes all the difference.

I have met some of the people in the classes (via email) and it is interesting to find they are very similar in personality to me. Their backgrounds are also just as diverse. It is comforting to know I am in good company. My Phonetics professor has 2 Masters, a Ph.D, and speaks 10 languages fluently, most of which are Native American!! How exciting! Plus she has 62 cats! Okay....she actually volunteers for an animal rescue charity.

I am starting to feel right at home!


*The song I picked for this post is a fairly new release and is all the rage here in Utah*

No comments: