8/19/2007

Saturday

After the morning blast off of the Key Bank building, I decided to go for a run. The cloud cover kept the temps cool, so I thought it would be a good idea to take advantage of this sudden decrease in heat. I didn't factor in the humidity though. I had flash backs of running in Florida, and how hard it is to do much of anything in that kind of heat. Thank God I don't live there anymore.
I came back to my sweetie mowing the lawn. He finished up, and I made some scones, ate breakfast and read the paper (that takes about 5 minutes....maybe). We decided to head down to the Farmer's Market for some fresh produce. The place was CRAZY. This market has become a huge summertime event, and is a major success. We picked up some corn, watermelon (which I can live on in the summer), tomatoes, fresh flowers, and one more addition to my garden mushroom collection (see photo). Unfortunately we missed out on the local T-bone steaks and fresh halibut. Next time.
My fresh flowers




I added the green one yesterday.



For most the afternoon we stayed inside watching the storms comes and go, but around 5:00 I decided to drag my husband North to a small community called Huntsville for the Balloon Festival. I missed it last year and was excited to go this year. Larry wasn't in the mood for a two hour drive, but I finally convinced him it would be worth his while. The area around Huntsville is beautiful farm country with surrounding ski areas (Powder Mountain, Wolf Creek etc). I can see a problem arising in the future if some series planning and zoning doesn't happen soon (ski condos being built next to horse pasture). I digress....
The weather wasn't looking too good, but we stuck it out for two hours listening to a couple of bands play and ate some gooey nachos to pass the time before lift off.

Stormy weather on the horizon.



Looming storms above with storms below (hehe). I just thought it looked funny.



Plate of Nachos that caused major heartburn two hours later....




Lightening began to flash overhead, thunder started to rumble, and the heavens opened with a downpour similar to those in Florida. It was mass exodus, and the only balloons we saw get any lift off were the ones the wind stole from children. We ran through the rain, only to find a young boy had lost one of his kittens under a trailer so we stopped to help. We were soaked, but we got the kitten. Success.



We got home around 9:30 and crashed. Even though we didn't get to see the balloons do their night glow and take off, it was still enjoyable. Better than staying home and watching yet another rented movie.

Now I got to go get my snoring hubby out of bed, or we will be late for church.

No comments: