8/11/2007

Spontaneous Actions

That is what describes last week. It first started with my regularly scheduled haircut. I normally go in and have my hair trimmed to the same style I have had for years. It is boring and lacks any flair, but my hair is fine and blond, so there aren't a whole lot of options. I sat down in the chair, and she asked (as she always does), "so what are we doing today?" I looked at my head and said," I think I need something different." She smiled as if I had just handed her a gift. The next thing I know 5 inches of my hair is on the ground! She kept cutting with all different types of shears, and after all was said and done, I looked in the mirror and saw a young, stylish women with a great head of hair. Man, she can do wonders! It feels strange not having my long locks down my back, but I love the look. It is amazing how cutting off so much hair actually makes me look better. It sounds strange, but my eyes stand out more. I have yet to tell my husband. I figure it will be a big surprise when he gets home, hopefully a good surprise.
Afterwards I called up my friend, Jed, whom I haven't seen in a few months and asked him if he wanted to go hiking with me. He did. We spent the afternoon in Millcreek canyon, sweating our butts off. He carried on forever about his dating problems, and I told him to get over himself and be happy anyone wants to date him at all. He laughed because he knows I'm right. Later, we decided to get a bite to eat and decided on Sugarhouse Barbecue. It is great food on its own, but after 5 days of home made chicken wraps it was especially good.

The next morning I called up my aunt who lives in Lyman, Utah (give you 10 bucks if you can find it on a map) and asked if she wanted some company for a couple of days. She did, so I packed my backpack and hiking boots, tossed them in the back of my car, filled up the gas tank and hit the road. Lyman is 200 miles south of SLC, and I was happy to be out driving to places unknown. It took every ounce of strength to stay on the 15 and not get tempted to take off and get lost (something I enjoy doing.....really.....I do).

My aunt and uncle have lived in SLC their entire adult lives and decided when they retired they wanted to move to a rural community. A rural community is exactly what they got. I could say that it is a "one horse town," but to be honest I think there may actually be more horses then people, defiantly more cows and sheep. They purchased a 1895 farmhouse that hadn't been lived in since the 70s and made it into a great home. My bedroom (the guest room) window looked out over the horse pasture and faced the rising sun. Kentucky, the horse, made sure I wasn't allowed to sleep in. He would start to neigh just as the sun was beginning to peek above the horizon. Every morning I would throw on a pair of cutoff shorts and knee high rubber waders and make my way out to the field to help my aunt move irrigation pipe around the pasture. I loved it! Every moment! I think I have resolved that farming is just in my blood. When I am outside working like that, it feels like a shot of Vitamin B.
The days were spent helping with chores and playing with Kentucky and the farm dogs, or "the boys" as my aunt calls them, Jack and Chico. We spent a day at Capitol Reef and picked peaches and apples at a grove inside the National Park. My aunt is also on the committee for the Wayne County Fair, so I helped her paint some display shelving and do mailers.

Spending time with my aunt and uncle is reminiscent of my childhood when I would visit my grandparents farm in Heber. Those memories have never left me. I absolutely loved my time in Lyman, and I am so happy that I get to have a version of my childhood farm back. Now, I can just drive 3 hours south and get away to a place that time forgot. It's the best.

I got home last night and spent the evening working in my own garden and playing with my cats. It might not be riding horse or bailing hay, but it'll do.....for now.
Killing time at a construction stop.


Horses and pasture.


My uncle taking a nap. The house.


Jack doing what Jack does best ; ). Chico snoozing, sort of.


Kentucky



*Hummingbird photo was taken off the back porch. I got pretty lucky with this one!*
*American Woman by CCR played at least 3 times on the one station I could pick up, so I thought I would include it in my blog for this post.*

No comments: