4/18/2008

Avian Obesity Epidemic

At least that's what I'm worried I've got going on here. The house next to mine has a wall of Ivy. Within that Ivy are sparrows that have set up nests. They live there all year, coming out to play when the sun is visible. When Larry and I built our fence last year, I wanted to make sure I had places for bird feeders. I have two hanging now. I will fill one with seed, and within the afternoon it is empty. I fill the other (the one below) and it is emptied out in about 3 days, sometimes less.
I do enjoy watching them from my kitchen window. I have counted up to to 8 on this particular feeder, but usually the guys start to get a little territorial (as in the picture below) when too many try to eat at the same time. I wonder if they are getting fat by all this available food? Kind of like the plump American on his way to McDonald's. It's cheap and easy and not to far from anyone's home. I've decided to let the feeder go empty for a few days in between fill ups. I wonder if they do get fat, will they have to leap to the feeder rather than fly? Do birds get diabetes and heart disease? Questions, Questions....




Side note: Got an email this morning from my girlfriend who was appalled at my use of pee, poo, and fart in my last post. I think her statement was, "how gross." How gross indeed. Bodily functions are not pretty, but I was expressing my noticeable physical changes in taking that particular pill. I have no hang ups on what my body does. I am not a woman who locks the bathroom door when having to "do my business," hanging my head in shame when the outcome has a less than desirable scent. Have we not read Everyone Poops? That should be required reading for all females. They should also do a follow up, Everyone Farts (maybe they have?).
I do "relax" in the comfort of my home, not at a friends dinner table....big difference. I think we should just get over the bowel issues and realize that like men, we have the same digestive system that produces the same outcome. Get over it already!

No comments: