4/11/2008

Feeling Better

I am finally breaking out of my cold. Still sound somewhere between Kermit the Frog and a dying cow, but every day it gets better. This weekend the temps will get up to the 70s, so I am happy to be well enough to get outside and play.

I did manage to register for classes for next semester. This semester has not been that great, not meaning grade wise, but just not that interesting. The ear anatomy is fascinating, and it has me considering Audiology ....someday ....maybe. But the instruction is very pathetic and it is showing up in my grades. Not that I am failing or anything like that, not even close, but I am probably looking at a B or B+ for that class. My linguistics class is not that great either, but I'm doing well in it. That was the class where I was group leader for a group project. Our group did very well, and I actually got kudos from my group for being a "great" leader. Not that it was that hard, you just have to have follow through. Next semester I will finally get to start the pathology and diagnosing aspect of it. Also a bit of aural rehabilitation. I hope it goes well and is more interesting than this semester has been. Only 5 more classes to go!!

I have been looking around at graduate programs. The U has a good program, but they don't offer a program that allows you to work. It is a standard day-time program. I have been in discussions with people in my current program about different schooling options, and have come across a couple of interesting possibilities. My particular issue is that I want a Master of Science, not another M.Ed. . I had thought that the M.S. programs would all be on-campus, but surprisingly there are a small number of schools that offer an online program. This would be the best for me so I can actually start working as a SLP assistant while doing the program. Learning is great, but this type of learning has to be usable for me to really understand its meaning. I figure I can really get a better grasp of the knowledge if I can apply it, even in small doses, in the day to day work environment.

I am a little disappointed, scratch that....very disappointed, that Larry isn't going to be able to come home this month. The original plan was that he was suppose to come home for a short visit, but he is so busy at work that he just doesn't have time. In addition, the Navy decided to slash its orders by 20%. All "non terror" jobs got pushed down to the bottom of the list for funding. Larry was notified that he would be leaving on May 8th. To say the least, his boss shit a brick. A two star, or three star General (I don't know anymore, Larry throws these ranks around like they are commonplace) called the Admiral and had some ass. He now has Larry until June 30th. This does, however, present a kink in my plans for the summer. I was suppose to be packing up and moving out in June. Honestly, there is part of me a bit relieved not to have to go through the stress of vacating my home and pissing off my cats with a trek over the pacific ocean and a new home. I will make a few more trips out to Hawaii before he comes home. I will just try and do what I have planned to do, knowing I have less time to do it all. I think it will be nice to be home this summer....with my other half.
Larry was also told that before he leaves he will be receiving a Joint Meritorious Service Medal! This is huge for him, and he deserves it. He is the hardest working person I know, and on top of that, he is passionate about what he does. Such qualities deserve to be recognized. Your wifey-poo is beaming with pride sweetie : )
The airlines are another story. It is kind of like "hold on to your boots folks!" Larry is pretty safe at Skywest, but our plans to move on may not come to pass, not anytime soon anyway. I actually blurted out one day, "I think you should be a physical therapist." Surprisingly his response was, "You are very insightful. I think I would enjoy that line of work," (seriously...he did say that, that's the way he talks). Now the conversation of changing jobs comes up regularly. He still wants to be a airline pilot, but he is also more open now to the idea of other work and opportunity. Of course, I already have drawn up the blue prints for the "Crafts Rehab Center." Me on the Speech side, Larry doing Geriatric and Sports rehab. A girl can dream can't she? Besides it would really cut car and gas costs....the Earth wins too!!

No comments: