4/02/2008

Books of my Choosing

I'm late, I'm late, I'm late. I am so behind on my reading. I figured that while traveling I would have plenty of time to read, but rather the opposite held true. I was always on the go, never with much, if any time to read. The time that I did have available was spent studying for exams. Currently I am reading both Love in the Time of Cholera (still) and Witch of Portobello.

I have this pseudo book club which started with my girlfriend wanting to read books together. More people jumped on board. I haven't had too much luck with it so far. My Mom recently asked after getting 100 pages into Love in the time of Cholera, "what the Hell is this book about?" I told her it is about a love between two people that never dies and isn't fully realized for 50 years. Her response, "Get over it already." Guess who the romantic is in the family? To say the least, she just isn't getting into it. For April, I picked an Australian author with a more "mainstream" appeal. I have read her books before (Year of Wonders is one of my favorites), and find her stories easy to read and understand. Hopefully Mom can enjoy that one a bit more.

I understand that my more introspective choices of spiritual honesty, or deep, gut wrenching stories of unrequited love are not for everyone. These are depictions of life that I find I can connect to, but most people just like a good old fashioned murder mystery or an all American novel.

I will finish these books, hopefully soon, and definitely this month. I have enjoyed them so far, and I do look forward to reviewing them.

No comments: