4/21/2008

What's your Dream?

Everyone has a dream. It is probably one of the best parts about being human. I would be worried about a person that didn't have dreams. I think for some it might be easier to dream; people that have a creative streak, or maybe have a childish spirit. I still dream a lot. I think I was yelled at as a kid for having my head in the clouds. Well, it didn't do much good....my head is still floating around up there in the stratosphere. When I say "dream" I don't necessarily mean the dreams in one's sleep, but dreams for one's life, both the realistic and the fantastic.

Today I was once again up City Creek Canyon doing my little jog jig. Between the sound of my feet pounding the asphalt, the breathing in and out, and the splashing of the water beside me, my mind opened up and became filled with my dreams. There are many, but there is one that continually comes up in my life ever since I was a kid; one that I have yet to see to fruition. The dream is me, an old 1970s Jeep that has seen better days, my camera, a dog of deep loyalty and strength, a couple days of supplies, tent, and a map going nowhere. I guess it is my own microscopic version of Into the Wild. I know it doesn't seem like much to some, but to me it is one of those dreams that makes me get all giddy when I think about it. I am a little afraid to do it, but that makes me want to do it even more. Larry doesn't like the idea of me being out alone. Heck, he worries about me making it down the stairs without killing myself! I would pack a gun, of course. I know how to use one and am a decent shot, so I would have some protection. It's not like I am going to go off to Alaska, just some remote areas in Utah. I just don't want to plan it out. I just want to go and.....well.....survive. Just for a few days.

Larry is supportive of me achieving my dream. As much as he can be while worrying about me as much as he does. He said he would buy me the Jeep. I told him he couldn't. It has to me, be mine. I have to buy it. It is my dream, and mine alone. He does understand my stubbornness here. It can't just be part mine, it has to be the whole enchilada. I KNOW that I will make this dream a reality. Sooner than later would be best, but I will have to get some things done first.

That's it. Simple to some, crazy to others, but for me it would mean a lot. That's what dreams are for, I think. They give our life meaning, purpose, and add a little color to an otherwise blank canvas.

No comments: